Saturday 12 November 2011

Fellow Fiji Citizen - Lets keep our Towns and Cities Clean - Thank you!

One for our society

Paula Tagivetaua 

Staff of the Labour Ministry clean up along the Suva seawall on Thursday, November 10. Second from left is their manager, Yogesh Prakash. Picture: PAULA TAGIVETAUA
THE sight of many people wearing reflector vests and carrying black garbage bags along the Suva waterfront caught my attention on Thursday last week. I went closer and saw they were picking up rubbish.
They had surgical gloves on.
Must be a group of environmentally conscious people, I thought and moved in to see who they were and what they were doing and why. I asked one and they said they were from the Ministry of Labour. What are you doing?
"We are on a clean-up campaign to help the Suva City Council keep our city beautiful," he said.
What a noble idea, I said to myself.
I asked to take a photo of them picking rubbish and some of the women shied away.
No problems there, but some are always eager to portray what they are doing for society and I was grateful to those who are in the picture.
"Who can I talk to?" I asked them and they pointed to their team manager, Yogesh Prakash.
"We are on a one-month clean-up campaign," he said.
"All ministries will do their part in cleaning up the place. "We started today."
Yogesh said their designated area of cleaning stretched from the Suva waterfront along the seawall to the Government Printing in Nasese where the School of Catering is.
It was quite a stretch for the women and men of the Labour Ministry to clean but the way they went about their campaign - joking, laughing and talking among themselves, I knew they would do a good job of it.
As they went on their way toward Nasese, I went back the way they had cleaned and noticed the place looked cleaner.
Gone were the bits and pieces of eyesore that were discarded by the environmentally unconscious members of the public who were never schooled perhaps or have no idea how important a clean environment is to healthy living.

No comments: