Saturday 12 November 2011

Parents - The Sky is not the limit for You and as for Ana!

I dream of pastry

Ana Niumataiwalu

Arieta Brown with her winning pastry creation. 
Picture: COURTESY OF THE FIJI NATIONAL UNIVERSITY
FOR Arieta Loloma Brown, the goal of one day becoming a pastry chef has begun to take shape following this year's Fiji Moffat Fiji National Salon Culinaire competition.
She understands that as a pastry chef, one's job description ranged from tasks such as producing baked goods for the supermarket shelf, restaurant or a neighbourhood bakery.
Or as glamorous as creating delicious desserts for a high-end restaurant.
Either way, there's no doubt that a pastry chef job is rewarding, and certainly sweet.
"I came across the advert in the dailies of the courses offered at the Fiji National University and I decided to come and enroll in patisserie and bakery Certificate III and Certificate IV which is about six months each then on to industry attachment," she said.
"I had always wanted to be a chef but never enrolled into any programme after completing high school some 15 years ago, until this year."
Eta, as she is commonly known amongst her peers competed, in the class two static cold dessert-Vudi Vakasoso/ Vudi mousse.
The mother of two was in tears and at a loss for words when the judges called out her name as the recipient of the gold medal.
"I was speechless and couldn't believe I won gold," she said.
"This is the first time I have ever entered such a competition. I was confident going into the competition as I knew I had the backing of my lecturers like Amelia Gucake who had always been coaching me and guiding me leading up to the competition.
"I love vudi and my creation for the competition was vudi mousse a piece that didn't take me long to put together."
The Lomaviti woman admits that it was a not a smooth journey to get to where she is today.
After completing her education at Jasper Williams High School she went on to do vocational remaining at Jasper before finding employment at a garment factory.
She said after a few odd jobs over the years she finally picked up the courage to enroll with FNU.
"I am 37-years-old, my children are in high school. When I stepped into the classroom here at the Nadi campus I had to keep reminding myself that age was not a limit to learning."
Like the rest of her peers in the programme, this was their first major local competition.
Eta said her success would not have been possible if it was not for the support of her children and family, especially her sisters who had pitched in to pay for her fees.
"I challenge my friends out there and mothers who have left high school and are staying home, undecided whether or not to go back to school and pursue further studies - it's not late to enroll into any programme," she said.
"Whichever program you decide to start in, do as much as you can while you're there. Push yourself in your work to do what you're afraid of doing because that's how you learn. You can't give up if you love the field."
Ana Niumataiwalu is the marketing and public relations officer - West, Fiji National University.

No comments: